Grain Growth

ripening phenomena, dislocations, grainboundary topology
yamaka
anti_bot: 333

Grain Growth

Post by yamaka » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a new user of Micress, and any help would be grandly appreciated.

I am currently trying to run a simulation for grain growth in steel simply with a single phase. However, I'm at a bit of a loss about whether my parameters make sense.
In addition, the idea is to run the simulation with 1000 grains, but I thought I'd try to reduce the process time by starting with 10 grains. However, it seems that the process time is very long regardless. Is there something I've input in the parameters to make it run so slowly?
What would be a better value for integer of randomization? Is my value too high?
I am in a bit over my head, so any help would be amazing. Thank you!

-yamaka
Attachments
GrainGrowth1000.in
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Bernd

Re: Grain Growth

Post by Bernd » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Dear yamaka,

Welcome to the MICRESS forum!

Unfortunately, I am currently unable to test your input file by running it. However, I guess your problems could be the following:

1.) Given that you define only 10 grains with a radius of 30-35 µm, you probably left space where the matrix phase is still present. You can check that by examining the .phas input (phase distribution) using DP_MICRESS or the .TabF file by MICpad (or any other text editor). If there is matrix phase present, the (unwanted) interaction between the two phases will consume a lot of time, and results are not reasonable. You should increase the initial radius of the grains until the full area is covered by the initial grains.

2.) You defined an interface thickness of 8 cells, which is more than necessary. Using 4 is enough and should improve performance.

If there are still problems, I can test your input file next week.

Best wishes
Bernd

yamaka
anti_bot: 333

Re: Grain Growth

Post by yamaka » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 am

Thank you for the response! Your suggestions worked. :D