dendritic solidification, eutectics, peritectics,....
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:16 pm
- anti_bot: 333
Recently I try to simulate one solidification process with which the dendritic growth is expected. However, results show planar growth. I tried to modify the following parameters:
- Smaller grid spacing: 0.01 μm
- Different kinetic coefficients: 0.1, 1, 5, 10
- Smaller interval for updating diffusion coefficients: 1E-06
but still only planar growth was observed.
I would like to ask if any other parameters affect the growth mode and how should I set them correctly? Attached please kindly find the driving file and the corresponding GES file. Thanks in advance!
- (41.02 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
- (16.67 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
- Posts: 1221
- Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Most probably, the interface mobility is reduced due to a too high value of the minimum time step. Please note that the definition of a minimum time step
is done for performance reasons only and cannot be done before the setup of the simulation is finished successfully. Time stepping can be monitored in the .TabT file, which is one of the tab_log outputs. Please also note that you will need to decrease the time interval for tab_log outputs in order to get any information in these files.
Please also note the following:
- in view of the huge cooling rate which you apply, the applied grid resolution of 0.01 µm may still be too coarse
- given the high velocity of the solidification front, even a mobiity value of 1.0 cm**4/(Js) max still be insufficient to reach diffusion controlled growth